How do I bulk move sub-tasks to another story?

Neal March 17, 2019

Hi.

I have added multiple sub-tasks to the wrong story.

Can I bulk move them?

Cheers

Neal

1 answer

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2019

Yes. Have you attempted and run into an issue? If you have not yet tried here are the steps:

1. search for the issues you want to move - parent = abc-123
  2. click ellipses in top right and select bulk update
  3. go thru the screens and you will be prompted.

note you will need to have an existing new-parent to move them too before doing the above.

Jose Martinez January 17, 2020

I dont see Parent as an item to change using this approach for bulk update. Any ideas?

note: I'm using cloud version on a Next-gen project.

Mike D. March 18, 2020

I don't see it either.Untitled.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2020

You use the Move option in the bulk update. There are three options to change: project, Issuetype and parent. Leave the first two alone and change the third. Example...

8E37E1ED-6AB9-455B-B08F-7734467683C7.jpeg

Like Lukasz Czerwinski likes this
Mike D. March 18, 2020

>You use the Move option in the bulk update

How do I get to bulk update? 🤔

Is there another way besides search issues?

Like rgladwin likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2020

You may not have permissions but here is how...

F10F9328-5130-46A7-A54F-182A81B5ED72.jpeg

Mike D. March 18, 2020

Gotcha.  So that's where I was but I couldn't find an easy way to search for the ~5 tasks I wanted to move.

There are ~10 on the story I want to leave where they are and ~5 I want to move.

Any ideas on how to easily search for the ~5 I want to move?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2020

Do this...

1. search for all sub-tasks in the story - parent = test-123
  2. 10 issues will be returned
  3. perform the bulk update but only place check marks beside the 5 you wish to move
Mike D. March 18, 2020

>but only place check marks beside the 5 you wish to move

hmm, why don't I see checkmarks 🤔

search results no checkmarks.png

thanks for all your help!! 🤝

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2020

Because you have not initiated the Bulk update. Click the ellipses in upper right and select the bulk update. The screens should be self-explanatory.

Mike D. March 18, 2020

Oh, well that's not intuitive.  Why would I click something that says "change all 24 items" when I only want to change 5 of them?! 🤷‍♂️

change 24.png

There it is though:

jira checkboxes.png

thanks Jack! 🤝

Like rgladwin likes this
Cory Strischek July 25, 2022

I am finding that after moving sub-tasks to a new parent through External System Import (NOT following this thread), the sub-tasks are still listed in the sortable table of "Sub-Tasks" on the original parent. 

Is this a known issue which this operation here avoids?

Suggest an answer