How do I allow the default assignee to be 'unassigned' at a project level

Paul Treadwell June 30, 2021

In Jira cloud we currently have 'allow unassigned issues' =OFF.

So each Project (in project settings) has a project lead set.

I want to allow one particular project to allow unassigned issues (in fact I want the default to be 'unassigned'). So do I change the global setting to 'allow unassigned issues'. Then go to my project in question and change the project lead to be 'unassigned'?

My concern is... will this impact any other project we have? Apart from the fact that someone could change an issue to 'unassigned' at some point (even though the default will remain as per their 'project lead' setting). I can cope with that outcome. I just don't want to somehow wipe all the other project 'project lead' settings.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2021

Hi @Paul Treadwell 

In order to allow unassigned issue in a particular project, you need to turn the global setting ON.

It will not change current project settings. Proje leads will stay same and default assignee will be "project lead" again. But you will have a change to change project lead to unassigned. So, you can do it safely. 

Paul Treadwell July 1, 2021

Fantastic, thanks so much for answering. That was how I assumed it worked but wanted someone to get an expert opinion on it.

Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2021

You are welcome !!

Bogdan Shkoda July 6, 2021

Thank you Tansu

Suggest an answer