How can I add users who already have an Atlassian Accout

Bjarne Svanberg September 2, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Add, edit and remove users

I want to add users to a project on JIRA Cloud who already have an Atlassian Account. I do not want the users to be created a second time for our project, I just want to associate their existing login information with my project. How can I do that, and how can I be sure that they will not be created as a second user account when I add them in "User management"?

Best Regards

1 answer

0 votes
Konstantin Mitov [Botron]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2016

Hi Bjarne,

I don't think what you want to do is possible, because the attlassian accounts are different from the once used on your JIRA instance. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/managing-users-720412319.html#ManagingUsers-inviteusers 

This article states that you can invite users via email, but "Each invitation can only be used to create a user under the email address that it was sent to, and can only be used once". This again means that a new user would be created on your local instance.

Regards,

Konstantin

Bjarne Svanberg September 2, 2016

I don't think this is relevant because the documentation you are referring to is about JIRA 6. I need answers for "JIRA Cloud".

While locally hosted instances of JIRA might not have access to information about user's Atlassian Account the JIRA Cloud instance is certainly in a position to have access to this. I thought this was actually the point of the SSO called "Atlassian Account" 

Sorry for ranting but I find Atlassian's lack of documentation quiet irritating.

Suggest an answer