How can I add users who already have an Atlassian Accout

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Add, edit and remove users

I want to add users to a project on JIRA Cloud who already have an Atlassian Account. I do not want the users to be created a second time for our project, I just want to associate their existing login information with my project. How can I do that, and how can I be sure that they will not be created as a second user account when I add them in "User management"?

Best Regards

1 answer

Hi Bjarne,

I don't think what you want to do is possible, because the attlassian accounts are different from the once used on your JIRA instance. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/managing-users-720412319.html#ManagingUsers-inviteusers 

This article states that you can invite users via email, but "Each invitation can only be used to create a user under the email address that it was sent to, and can only be used once". This again means that a new user would be created on your local instance.

Regards,

Konstantin

I don't think this is relevant because the documentation you are referring to is about JIRA 6. I need answers for "JIRA Cloud".

While locally hosted instances of JIRA might not have access to information about user's Atlassian Account the JIRA Cloud instance is certainly in a position to have access to this. I thought this was actually the point of the SSO called "Atlassian Account" 

Sorry for ranting but I find Atlassian's lack of documentation quiet irritating.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

23,160 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you