Hosted or Download - different functionality?

Brian Price April 23, 2013

The Jira "Download or OnDemand" question states the following, as a benefit of the download option:

Extreme customization

Complete application control

Is there any difference in functionality between the OnDemand and download versions? I can't find anywhere on the site that offers a comparison.

I 've trialled the download, but the cost of upgrading our server to run it well is far more that the Ondemand hosted version so I am looking at that option now. However, I don't want to find that functioanlity I am used to is no longer available.

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michal Husar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2013

Hi Brian,

and which functionalities did you mean in last sentence? We have OnDemand version and as you said, downloaded version is more customisable, we somestimes miss customisation or plugins, because on OnDemand you can't install any plugin(some are only preinstalled). If you want functionality of workflow and JIRA(changing Statuses, who working on this, ...) and you don't need customisations with Javascript for example, OnDemand is for you :)

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2013

Some functions are restricted on OnDemand and that is the major difference. You can find more info at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Restricted+Functions+in+Atlassian+OnDemand.

In short, not all plugins work on onDemand and custmizations are not allowed.

0 votes
Brian Price April 23, 2013

Thanks, I obviously didn't look hard enough. I think OnDemand will suit us just fine.

Suggest an answer