Error 'We couldn't create the subtask'.

Deleted user October 23, 2018

Hello All,

I wanted to have subtasks to have different fields than the parent issue hence I created 2 separate screens(one for the parent issue and the other for the subtasks). I then Associated the screens to 2 different screen schemes and associated the screen schemes to 2 different issue types(Both custom issue types).

When I create a new issue, the new custom screen shows up and works perfectly fine. However, when creating a subtask under the issue, Jira is showing me an error ' We couldn't create the subtask'. 

I created both the screens the same way just with different fields. I don't know why the subtask screen is not getting created?

Some expert Jira user experience would be great

Note: I tried changing the subtask's screen to default Jira screen and it works.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2018

Hi Aakash,

Can you please check if there is a required field on the "Create issue" screen for the sub-task?

If so, it may be a bug that was reported, where it's not possible to create a subtask that has required fields when using the new issue view:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69222

Can you please test the workaround and let us know if it works?

Regards,
Angélica

Deleted user October 24, 2018

It worked! I believe I didn't have one of the required fields in the list of fields. I added the Summary field and works like a charm now

Best,
Aakash Ahuja

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2018

Hi Aakash,

That's awesome!
We are glad that everything is working.
If you have any other question, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Trevor May 23, 2019

If you have all tickets created set to assign to "Project Lead" and by chance the Project Lead who it was supposed to be assigned to has LEFT. The Sub task will not be able to be created because it cannot assign to the person who has left your organization. Just something to check. 

Like # people like this
MB October 13, 2020

Very good detail @Trevor . I had exactly same issue. 

Thank you 

Jyothi Ravipati January 18, 2022

thank you @trevor 

For your explaination. I had the same issue and it works good now

2 votes
Jessica Schmor July 13, 2019

Okay - I am just adding more to this ticket as it took me a while to solve this very same issue so for all the non-techy users like me....These directions are not very savvy and likely not the easiest way to get to the screens - but it took me forever so I thought I would add some directions if nothing else to help myself next time to make the same error.

What I did to fix it:

Open up two tabs of JIRA

On one tab go to -

• Jira Settings
  • Projects -->Projects
  • then pick your project
  • Project settings
  • fields
  • go to the gear in the top right "actions
  • Edit fields

On tab 2  -

• Jira settings
  • Issues
  • screens and look for the screens associated with your project that you set up for making subtaks different than tasks (you likely did like me and copied the task set which had required fields on it that you removed when you configured the layout of the sub tasks)
  • Click on the blue hyper link for the screen scheme (image below)
  • Then click on the blue linke for screen beside create issue
  • this takes you to the subtask configure screen where you selected fields

Do a side by side comparison of your required fields in "issues view field confguration" (tab one) and the fields in your "Configure Screen" (tab two)

Once you find a required field that is NOT in your list - either add it to your list or make it optional - refresh everything that that solved the issue for me. But I did have two required fields that I had to resolve.

Here is a screenshot of the error Message:

Cannot create subtask.PNG

Here is a screenshot of locating your screen scheme: probably clicking configure gets you there faster...

Screens.PNG

Here is a screenshot of the two tabs side by side:

tab side by side compare.PNG

Sidney Castro January 12, 2022

This happens when the custom field Summary is not present on your screen.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events