Email notifications for specific issues being created

Ian Balas September 10, 2019

Not sure if this is possible...but is it possible to have email notifications only send out for standard issue types (Stories) and not subtasks?

I'm wondering because we have rules set in Automation for Jira that'll create Stories along with nested subtasks. But as we have our notification scheme set up as of now, Reporters and Current Assignees get notified in the Issue Created event in our notification screen. So this means they're going to be notified for each separate subtask created along with a Story. I want it so that we only get notified about the Story that was created, and not get email notifications for each individual subtask created.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2019

Yes, but it takes a little work. Create a special event, say SubtaskCreate and put that in the post function of the subtask create workflow in place of the standard create. If you don't put anyone in the notification scheme for subtaskcreate no email will come out. That also allows you to decide if you want to have someone notified, like the reporter, to notify them. 

Ian Balas September 10, 2019

Works like a charm! Thank you :)

Jignesh Jaiswal January 16, 2020

Is something similar available for Next-Gen Projects? I am looking for a way to trigger an email to a special DL when an issue is created or updated.

Suggest an answer