Does Jira Service Desk have a CMDB

diarmuid kingsleigh-smith January 28, 2021

Hi, I've seen that there are several marketplace plugins that can provide a Configuration Management Database (CMDB), to my knowledge Jira does not have a CMDB internally.  Please could you help me confirm?

4 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Charlotte Nicolaou
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2021

Hi @diarmuid kingsleigh-smith

The answer is soon! 

Insight was bought by Atlassian last year so a big part of our road map for Jira Service Management is to bring tighter integration between JSM and the Insight CMDB. 

I would maybe suggest keeping an eye out on release news next week....
If you're using Cloud then we're looking at a Spring timeframe. 

In fact we have a webinar next week on the roadmap for JSM if you're interested. It's episode 6.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Charlotte
Product Marketer for Insight

kwansoon park February 14, 2021

Hi Charlotte,

I am wondering it supports K8S pods?

We are planning to migrate to AWS EKS. 

Thanks,

Kwansoon

Charlotte Nicolaou
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 15, 2021

Hi Kwansoon @kwansoon park

Currently Insight doesn't support discovery/importing of Kubernetes data natively. You're not the first person to ask so I hope we get it one day.

However, there's likely a way to get the data you need from Kubernetes into Insight. 
If you're on Server or Data Center you can create your own importer. 

If you're on Cloud then there's likely a workaround where you export Kubernetes data on a schedule and bring in data into Insight/Jira on a schedule. I don't know enough about Kubernetes to know what the export options are but usually where there's a will there's a way. 

Hope that helps, 
Charlotte

Erik Boneschansker March 11, 2022

@Charlotte Nicolaou Hi there Charlotte, im not sure but is the CMDB option already a thing in Jira cloud? 

1 vote
Answer accepted
carlosughini
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2021

Hi @diarmuid kingsleigh-smith ,

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, Jira does not have a CMDB internally.

However, Atlassian offers below apps in Atlassian Marketplace that provide robust asset management/CMDB functionality:

For Jira Server:

For Jira Cloud:

Also, you can check good documentation about it in the link below:

Please check the information above and let me know if it helps.

Cheers,

Carlos

tokcum
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2021

Btw, Service Advisor is not longer available in the Marketplace.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Ronak Patel August 25, 2021

Any news on new CMDB release for Jira cloud ?

0 votes
tokcum
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2021

Dear Charlotte,

@Charlotte Nicolaouthank you for refering to the lightening talk episode 6. I know Insight for years in on prem Jira setups and got quite disappointed when I became aware of how weak the integration between Insight and Jira actually is within Atlassian Cloud.

As I'm working on an ITSM implementation within Atlassian Cloud for a global customer these weeks I'm really looking forward to the anticipated roadmap for a tighter integration between Jira Cloud and Insight. However the term "Coming soon" is relatively vague to me and I expect some pressure from my client soon. He implemented Jira Service Desk on Prem last year with a full-blown Insight based CMDB but decided to migrate to Cloud to ensure global scaling.

Could you please elaborate what "Coming soon" actually means? I would also like to know more about the rollout model Atlassian is planning for launch: will it be multiple steps or one big Insight related release?

Last but not least: are there any possibilities to join a beta?

Thank you for your support.

Kind regards,

Tobias

Charlotte Nicolaou
Atlassian Team
February 17, 2021

Hi Tobias @tokcum

Yes, historically our Cloud version has lagged behind the on prem version unfortunately.

But I believe this new release will close that gap significantly. Regarding how we will roll it out it will be in steps. With each new version closing that gap more and more along with some new features. 

Is there anything specific you would like to see in Insight Cloud?

Regarding what 'coming soon' means, we are aiming for early Q2. I believe with the beta, invitations are going to existing Jira Service Management Premium and Insight users any day now.

Best wishes,
Charlotte

Like tokcum likes this
tokcum
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2021

Thank you @Charlotte Nicolaou

I checked out the roadmap and find the announcement regarding Insight very promising. Looking forward to it!

If I could vote for a feature I would select "Search from Jira with IQL function". Combining the search power of Jira with the flexible data model in Insight was always key for me to implement ITSM, e.g. a service catalog where users who booked the VIP service get a different priority.

Another key is to have access to detailed information about users. In the User Provisioning REST API I've seen that there are attributes for "Preferred Language", "Organization" and "Location". It would be great to have that data available in Insight. In Insight on Prem Version I use import jobs for that.

I would like to apply for the beta. Is that possible?

Thank you very much. I'm super excited. :)

All the best,

Tobias

Suggest an answer