Custom issue field messages

Manoj Schroff April 19, 2021

Is there anyway to display custom messages whilst a user is completing an issue form during creation or edit ? This will help the user with exactly what they need to put into the field ?

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2021

Hi @Manoj Schroff

where did you exactly put the descriptions to the fields?
Am I right you tried it in "Field Configuration"? (https://YourSiteName.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ViewFieldLayouts.jspa) - this should work without any hassle.

Like Nic said please consider the options he mentioned also - they are quite popular and help in many cases from my past experience.

Regards,
Daniel

Manoj Schroff April 26, 2021

Apparently this feature has not been deployed on cloud version but is due soon

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2021

What do you mean exactly what is still missing? Field Configuration and the earlier mentioned message fields are already there (for a quite long time even). :-)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2021

Yes, you can add descriptions to fields, but if you want larger blocks of instructional text or text that does not appear on every screen the field is used in, have a look at "message" fields. 

There are two types of these, and people often pick the wrong one.  If you want your text to appear in the issue view, then you need to pick a "message field for view".  If the text needs to appear on a Create, Edit or Transition screen, then use a "message field for edit".   The reason it's a little confusing is that the text in these fields is read-only (you could say view-only).  The actual text you want to display needs to go into the "default value" for the field, the field does not actually have any content!

Manoj Schroff April 19, 2021

Thx Nic, I have added descriptions to the fields but they do not show on the issue screens. Hence the user does not get any aid in trying to undertand what should be added.  So still an issue I am afraid

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2021

Ok, and the rest of my answer?

Manoj Schroff April 26, 2021

Nic, Thx for reply. I am using Cloud version but similar instruction set to the below URL. In my case though this is not applicable as I want to have descriptions for all fields

Add a custom message to the Create Issue screen in Jira server | Jira | Atlassian Documentation

I will wait for Atlassian to make the feature (where one can display the descriptions on issue forms) available which they should be soon, thx

Suggest an answer