Close parent task when sub tasks are

Monica Vijaywargi March 1, 2022

Hi Community,

I am new to Jira. My company recently migrated to Jira cloud and some of our automations don't seem to work.

The task that I want to achieve is "to close a parent task automatically when all the subtasks are closed". I have created the rule following the steps provided to "automatically move parent to done when sub tasks are done".

Automation steps are attached in the image.

I get this error message "Error transitioning issues

RDU-1440 (Specify the Resolution (name) in the string format (resolution))". I am not sure where am I going wrong. Can you please help me resolve this?
Jira automation2.PNGJira automation1.PNG
Thank You

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
carlosughini
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2022

Hello @Monica Vijaywargi ,

Welcome to the community!

You can achieve this by editing the automation and setting the resolution field. I've set some example so you can check the final result:

Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 5.24.23 pm.png

Please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Carlos

Erna Putri Utami September 6, 2022

Hai @carlosughini 
may i know the details of the last 2 actions?

carlosughini
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2022

Hi @Erna Putri Utami ,

I'm basically just setting which Resolution option I would like to set to the field.

Please let me know if it helps.

Kind regards,

Carlos

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2022

Hi @Monica Vijaywargi,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

It sounds like you have a screen on the transition to Done that includes the resolution field. If you add a step before the transition that edit the Resolution field the error message should go away.

0 votes
Ruska Sisauri July 7, 2022

Hello , We have JSD data center, as i see there is no option in automation rules to mention parent issue. Is it only in Cloud? If there is this opportunity in Data Center  , please give me some tips. 

Dominic Peters July 22, 2022

Hi Rusaka,

since 06/21/2022 JIRA Automation is a part of Data Center version 8. There you can use the Parent option.

Suggest an answer