Cannot move from status CANCELLED

Barış Özer November 29, 2022

Hello everyone,
I cannot add translations from "Cancelled" status to other statuses.

Is this normal?

I made one ticket "Cancelled" by mistake and it doesn't go to other statuses.

What should I do?

Workflow is attached. I want to "Pending" over "Cancelled" but it doesn't work.

I have jira site-admin role.

image.pngimage.png

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2022

Hi @Barış Özer 

You will need to create a transition out of Cancelled in order to be able to move to another status.

You can also add a condition to restrict who can use this if that is required e.g. in role Administrators

But there is a quirk in Jira where you can't do this to an active workflow.

You will need to make a copy of the workflow, update it, then map the new version into your workflow scheme in place of the original.

Hi @Tom Lister 

What is the difference between these two "Cancelled" and "Canceled" statuses?

Do I have to delete the "Cancelled" status and continue with "Canceled"?

image.png

Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2022

Hi @Barış Özer

"Cancelled" is simply a different state, perhaps created by another user. When editing a workflow, all existing states are displayed. Basically, there is no difference between them (other than the wording. Cancelled is the British spelling of the word, while Canceled is the American spelling.)

However, I recommend keeping Cancelled and removing Canceled from the Workflow (Removes from Workflow, does not delete the state from your instance) as you won't have to deal with the transition. Since these are two separate states, if you kept "Canceled" then all existing "Cancelled" states would have to be transitioned to "Canceled".

Hi @Patrik Korovsky 

Have I got it right,

Can I do the transition I want with the "Canceled" status?

Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2022

Yes you can.

If you remove the "Cancelled" status, Jira will ask you to choose a new status. Then you will have to select "Canceled" and transition all issues that were in "Cancelled" before the workflow update.

Hi @Patrik Korovsky 

I tied them all to the "Canceled" status as you said.

I deleted the "Cancelled" status.

Thank you so much.

Attached is the picture, "CATEGORY" becomes Done when "Canceled" status.

Can we Cancel the "Done" category?

image.png

Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2022

Are you asking if the Canceled can be a different category than "Done"? If yes, then yes, technically "Canceled" does not have to be in the category Done.

1. I do not recommend it as Canceled is clearly a status that belongs in the Done category.
  2. If you change the Category of the status, you change it for all occurences, on all projects, not only the one you are editing.
  3. You will have to edit the post functions, where the Resolution field is updated based on the transitions. For more information see: see https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/best-practices-on-using-the-resolution-field-968660796.html

Please share what your goal is with these changes. I would like to help you avoid possible mistakes.

Hi @Patrik Korovsky 

Ok ok now I get it.

There was an issue of "Done" that was actually "Canceled". :D

I'm really confused.. :D

Suggest an answer