Cannot delete a status

Alex Addison April 17, 2023

There are a dozen outdated articles about this, but nothing current...

I created a status that I do not want anymore. According to the software, the status would not be available for use once it's been unassigned from a column.

There is no option to delete the status itself, and it still shows up when creating a card.

Anyone know how to deep-six this status forever?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2023

Hello @Alex Addison 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? That information is available at the bottom of the navigation panel on the left.

Are you working with a Software project, a Service project, or a Work Management project? If you are working with a Work Management project, navigation options are displayed horizontally across the top. If you are working with a Software or Service project, the navigation options are in a panel on the left.

Removing a status from the column mappings for a board does not make it unavailable as a status for the issues. It just makes it so that issues in that status are not visible on the board.

To make a status unavailable to an issue the status needs to be removed from the Workflow for that issue. You must be careful about doing that because the workflow may apply to more than one issue type. The exact steps for modifying the workflow depend on whether you are working with a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project.

For a Team Managed project, the Project Administrator has permissions to modify the workflows for the project.

For a Company Managed project only Jira Administrators have permission to modify the workflows.

Alex Addison April 18, 2023

Hi Trudy, thanks for the quick reply.

It's a Team Managed project. I am the administrator, and just created it, so we're not worried about losing anything else.

Software Development is the project type.

I have removed its availability from the workflow. When on the "Board" -> "Columns and Statuses" screen, it's in the "Unassigned Statuses" column. I wish to remove it from here permanently.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2023

Do you have different workflows for different issue types in the project? The status would need to be removed from all the workflows in the project to remove it from the status/column mapping screen 

Alex Addison April 20, 2023

No, we have only the default workflow and none are in progress.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2023

Can you provide screen images of your workflow, your board columns, and an example of an issue where the status is still available?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events