Blocked Issues still transition through the workflow irrespective of dependency

Pooja Heda November 10, 2019

I have a requirement from my team here. We're a software development company and have a lot of issues where one issue is blocked by some other issue. My team, not being a pro in using JIRA, could still pick up assigned BLOCKED task not noticing the linking/ dependency and the issue transitions through the entire workflow. 

My question is,

1. Despite allowing to create dependency, there is no check/ restriction on the issue. Then what is the point in adding such links between tasks/ subtasks?
  2. Is there any way I can implement this restriction using JIRA native tools (I'm not a fan of external plug-ins), like users should not be able to transition issues when there is such dependency?

Any feedbacks/ suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Leo
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2019

Hi @Pooja Heda

I don't think native Jira provides option to validate/make condition based on Linked Issues

But JMWE App does you provides you option to validate linked issues status or some other parameters you want to check

Linked Issues Status Condition (JMWE app)  is one of them

Of course there may be some other apps well to fulfill your requirement if you search in marketplace

BR,

Leo

Pooja Heda November 10, 2019

I would recommend JIRA to have this feature in place as currently it seems too fragile to be flexible. :(

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2019

@Pooja Heda, you may wish to vote/watch this issue - JRACLOUD-68818 

FWIW, I agree w/ you and it would be nice to have. I will however note that there are only 3 folks currently voting for this so given the huge backlog of suggestions this one is quite buried. There are similar open suggestions out there I think.

Pooja Heda November 11, 2019

Hi Jack, yeah you're right, there are similar open suggestions and everyone may not be aware to vote on the task you've mentioned above. 

While surfing for the solution, I understood a lot of people want conditions on blocker tasks which is a definite and logical solution for being able to use that use case. 

Thanks for your suggestion though. I've voted for the issue.

Suggest an answer