Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket Cloud API endpoints with app password

mgnavarrete March 23, 2023

Hi!

I am trying to managed my Bitbucket Cloud Workspace by the API using a oauth consumer but I have just found out that there are a few endpoints where I must use app password:

- Update group permissions for a repository

- Update user permissions for a repository

Screenshot from 2023-03-23 17-34-08.png

The thing is, app password are own by an account meanwhile oauth consumer can be created at workspace level. The idea is not to use personal accounts because at some point these accounts can be deleted and generate a problem in the autommation so instead we would rather use the oauth from the workspace that is going to be always active. 

Therefore, this two endpoint are a big problem for us due to we cannot access by oauth. I wanted to ask if this can be solved by a workaround or if there is some plan to allow to access these endpoints by oauth? Maybe an other solution could be allow to create app passwords at workspace level. 

1 answer

0 votes
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2023

Hello @mgnavarrete ,

Thanks for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

I'm afraid that currently, the repository permissions endpoints indeed don't support using OAuth tokens for authentication, only app passwords. We do have a feature request to add the ability to authenticate with OAuth consumers for those endpoints, which you can check in the following link : 

I would suggest you to add your vote there, since this helps both developers and product managers to understand the interest. Also, make sure you add yourself as a watcher in case you want to receive first-hand updates from that ticket. Please note that all features are implemented with this policy in mind.

Unfortunately, there's no workaround at this moment other than using App Passwords for authentication.

Thank you, @mgnavarrete !

Patrik S

mgnavarrete March 29, 2023

Thanks for your answer Patrik, it has been very useful :)

Like Patrik S likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events