Backing up from Cloud - Stop users from using JIRA?

Taylor Huston June 1, 2017

Hello,

I am doing a backup of a Cloud instance from the Backup Manager. I found this page in the Server documentation, which is basically about the fact that if users are in JIRA making changes while you are doing the backup, it can cause issues.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/preventing-users-from-accessing-jira-applications-during-backups-861253827.html

Now obviously on Cloud I don't have the same options to prevent users from making changes as I do on Server, none of the steps in that page will work on Cloud, but is it still something that I need to worry about? It isn't mentioned in the Cloud documentation (that I can find), so is there something about the database and backup manager that Cloud uses that makes it a non issue, or is it still a concern? Do I need to schedule an outage window and perform the backup after hours while I am sure no one is using it, for example?

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2017

Hi Taylor,

In regards to stopping your users from using JIRA there isn't a way to prevent the use of the Cloud platform.  It is still recommened to schedule a maintenence window so the best option at this time is going to be to create an Announcement banner and tell your teams JIRA will be down for maintence..

Hopefully that answers your question.

Cheers,

Branden

Emma Baxter August 13, 2018

Hi, we have the same question, only now there is no option to add an announcement banner, can you advise the best way to disable users from accessing Jira and Confluence during a set period.

Thanks

Suggest an answer