Automation: changing subtasks' status according to parent issue

Aleksandra Gregec May 15, 2023

Hi,

I have multiple rules that allow me to create subtasks automatically when an issue transitions from one phase to another. I want these subtasks to have the status of the phase/column they are created in (the one they transitioned to).

For instance:

I have phases 'to do' - 'in progress' - 'done'

When an issue transitions from 'to do' to 'in progress', certain subtasks are created.

I want them to have the status 'in progress' and not 'to do'.

I tried having the status copied from the parent issue when the subtask is created. but it did not work (error: Could not find your configured field, it may have been deleted?). I also tried having it as a new action (edit fields - status - copy from parent issue), which also did not work.

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

Hello @Aleksandra Gregec 

On your subtask's workflow, there is a transition between the "To do" status and the "In progress" status ?

• If yes, there is a condition on this transition ?
    • If yes, the "Atlassian add-on" has access to this transition ?
      • If no, please add this one (conditions -> Any project role -> Atlassian Add-on)
      • If not, is it possible to look at your workflow or/and your rule?
    • If not, is it possible to look at your workflow or/and your rule?
  • If not, please add the transition between these two statuses

Hello @JM Perrot ,

Here is how the rule looks. So when an issue is moved from pre-kickoff to kickoff, sub-tasks are created automatically. Currently they have the status 'pre-kickoff' and I want them to have the status 'kickoff'

Screenshot 2023-05-15 141840.jpg

JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

Ok your rule looks ok, I guess in your box "Create a new sub-task" you set each settings correctly (status copied from the trigger/parent issue, parent issue is the current issue).

Have you check if these statuses are linked in the subtasks' workflow ?

I think so too. This is how it looks:

Screenshot 2023-05-15 142518.jpg

Could you please tell me how I should check whether the statuses are linked? I am quite new to Jira so I am not sure how to do that

JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

Sorry I answer in another boxe... T.T I misclicked

"It seems ok.

If you are project admin you can go through Project settings -> Issues -> Workflow and here click on Edit (if you are Jira Admin) or view (if you are just Project Admin but you don't have access to the workflow conditions)"

thanks! this is how it looks:

Screenshot 2023-05-15 144211.jpg

I tried creating a transition from pre-kickoff to kickoff, but nothing changes. Is there something else I could do?

JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

Do you have the possibility to click on the global transition of "KICKOFF"? (In Edition mod) If yes can you check if there is a condition

when I click on kickoff, this is what I see:

Screenshot 2023-05-15 144945.jpg

Like JM Perrot likes this
JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

Else can you try something like that ?

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 14.51.06.png

this worked! thanks a lot!

Like JM Perrot likes this
JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

Nice, perfect :)

Like Aleksandra Gregec likes this
1 vote
JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

Error

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events