Automation: Update assignee from custom field in current issue

Ryan Hamilton March 24, 2023

Hello, 

I've created 4 customs fields to fill in with the names to be able to automate the assignee when the issue goes thru the Workflow. Find a screenshot of one of the custom fields.Custom field.jpg

In the automation rule, I'm using the edit issue actions, on the Assignee field, with the copy from the current issue but the custom fields don't appear on the list.Automation Rule.jpg

Does anyone know why they are not appearing on the list to be selected?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2023

Hi @Ryan Hamilton ,

Are the custom fields of type User Picker?
And is there a context set up for these fields?

Regards, Marco

Ryan Hamilton March 24, 2023

Hello Marco,

I am only an admin of my team-managed project and I cannot see what type of custom field they are.

Context:

On each status there is a responsible that will be indicated in these fields, they are never the same.

Will talk to the admin of my Jira account and get back to you with the type of custom fields that they are.

Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2023

Hi @Ryan Hamilton ,

I think you are running into the limits described here
and this issue.

Regards, Marco

Ryan Hamilton March 28, 2023

Hello @Marco Brundel ,

I was able to solve the issue, it was not using the smart valued correctly and Jira wasn't able to identify the fields. 

Thanks for you suppor.

Like Marco Brundel likes this
Cristina Santamaria October 6, 2023

@Ryan Hamilton 

hello Ryan, if you could share how you resolved this, I am trying to do the exact same thing, and having the same problem. I'm not sure what you meant by not using the smart value correctly.

thank you - appreciate any guidance

Cristina

Ryan Hamilton October 9, 2023

Hello Cristina,

My issue was that i wasn't informing the customer field name correctly in the smart value formula, so it wast able to pull the information.

I would suggest viewing the documentation of the smart value, here is the link.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events