Automatically Move subtasks to parent column on a board

Will Craig December 21, 2021

At the moment we use Epics > Stories then subtasks.

We move the story item along the columns(stages) as it progresses to done.

We attached subtasks to the story and this is what the developers/marketing team use to log time and track tasks.

--

With the above setup, I am having an issue as all subtasks on creation go back into the backlog.

My staff need to go to the backlog and move them to the location of the story which is moving along the board. 

Is there a way to move subtasks that are attached to a story to the column the story is at within the board?

Just a quick note my board has around 6 columns. I cannot find anything that updates a subtask to its parent's column within the board. All examples I found are moving subtasks to set locations with the board.

thanks

Will 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2021

Hi @Will Craig 

Use the Swimlanes as Stories in Board Configuration. That should work.

Thanks,
Pramodh

Thembisa Ndlamlenze October 25, 2022

Hi @Pramodh M 

I would like to do the same thing, your solution doesn't work for me, I'm on the cloud version.

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2022

Hi @Thembisa Ndlamlenze 

May I know the board configuration what you have done and which board type you are using and what problem you are facing

Suggest an answer