Scrum and Kanban in One Board

BillyP
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2018

The question was poised on how to get both types of tickets (unplanned and planned) into a single project board.  

After leading an Infrastructure Team, required to handle all outages (unplanned work) along with upgrades (planned work) we had to come up with a way to manage our efforts.  We accomplished this with two projects. 

We did this for two reasons, which I'll expand upon later ;)

The way we did this, was to use a filter query for the board.  

WIP = 'work in progress' aka planned work or Agile

UP = 'unplanned work' aka Kanban style tickets 

`project = WIP OR project = UP'  

This allowed a board to show tickets from both projects.  

Tip: Make sure you align all the workflow sections with a column so you don't have any 'missing' tickets :)

As always, would love to here your comments :)

Cheers!

2 comments

Comment

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2018

Hey @BillyP 

I love the ScrumBan approach! What was your reasoning behind your approach? 

Here's an article on how another team uses the Scrumban approach if interested! :)

The ScrumBan Jira board

George Mihailoff October 8, 2020

In my humble opinion, the Scrumban approach is missing out on a proper Kanban implementation that has all the checks and balances for any type of work, not just "unplanned".

A great example for me is in the car industry -- there are conventional gasoline cars, there are full-electric cars and there are hybrids. Again, in my humble opinion, a hybrid is worse from both options -- two engines, complicated electronics, basically overengineered car. It just a "bridge" for the ones who are afraid to get into the new world and it works out for car companies to exploit the gasoline-based technology a little bit more.

Here's an article describing how PagerDuty dev teams were switching to Kanban https://www.pagerduty.com/blog/switching-from-scrum-kanban/

Chris Jones October 7, 2020

Hi Billy, did you use a scrum or kanban board for this?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events