Using Jira Work Management to Estimate Project End Date?

Matt Rosenthal June 24, 2021

Hi all,

I am interested in using Jira Work Management to estimate the End Date of a project, based on the following elements:

1. The tasks that need to be completed
  2. How long each task should take to complete
  3. The linking/ dependencies that each task has - i.e. if Task Two is dependent on Task One, and each takes 2 weeks, the total time to complete One and Two should be Four Weeks. If Tasks 1, 2, and 3 each take Two weeks, but Only 2 is dependent on 1 (i.e. Task 3 can start at the same time as Task 1), the total time should still be Four weeks

I can't seem to figure out how to calculate this using the program. Setting the end date manually seems silly because that just ignores task length and necessary sequencing. 

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
eugenio_onofre
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2023

Hi @Matt Rosenthal

I know your question is dated 2 years ago, but I will try helping out so other users may refer to the same answer.

You would need to create a Project Automation to make the "math" using all sub-tasks estimate and saving the result to the "Due Date" field of the original task.

Please do not forget to accept the answer in case it helps you resolve the issue!

Regards!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events