Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non consecutive day allocation

editor1 Shell March 1, 2022

Pretty sure I've tried every major Project Management SaaS under the sun at this point and none of them provide a satisfactory solution to a simple issue:

(Context: We're a commercial film production company looking for solution to more efficiently keep track of all active productions and company wide workload.)

The issue:
I am yet to find a project management software that would allow creating a task with non consecutive time assignment. For instance, Editing of first rough cut of a particular film will occur on 1-3rd, 7-8th and 15-20th of a given month - and there is multiple projects like that in parallel involving same people. These dates are subject to change and so are gaps between them. This creates an issue as using the logic of most PM SaaS, I would have to create 3 separate 'tasks' for each period of 'editing' without doing so it breaks a lot of other top level features like workload tracking.

What the hell, how come no one has figured out a solution to such obvious problem ?! I'm sure I'm not alone in this... Is there a way around this in Jira ? - A way to assign multiple time periods to same task. Also a way to view all tasks across all projects on single timeline ?

2 answers

2 votes
Nataliya Vasyliv_Reliex_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 10, 2022

Hi @editor1 Shell 

You case is quite common. But the single solution in Jira is creating several separate tasks.
Our ActivityTimeline plugin could fit your request: in a situation when a user cannot continuously work on a ticket for several days in a queue, ActivityTimeline plugin allows to split that ticket to be worked on different days or a different users.

Create_Issue_Part.gif

Every task could be estimated and workload will be calculated on the Panel. The estimate will also split as shown in an example below (16 hours of remaining time = 8 hours on Monday and 8 hours on Wednesday):

Issye-part(2).png

But you can manage how many hours are going to be put in each part of the ticket.

On a backlog panel you can see all issue-parts. As an example: first Issue Part is unassigned; the second Issue Part is assigned and scheduled on Dashboard:Issye-part.png

Hope it helps! If you have any additional requirements please feel free to ask me. We can demo session for you if needed. 
Nataliya,  ActivityTimeline Team.

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2022

Hi @editor1 Shell and welcome to the Community,

As you have found out, you are trying to combine task management with a specific way of planning work against a schedule. Since that is somewhat specific, you would need to add a planning interface or solution to your task management solution.

From what you are describing, I believe you could have a look at Tempo Planner as an extension to standard Jira functionality. It adds the additional functionality to plan time against the same tasks on multiple days and for multiple people.

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events