cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having tasks appear under the EPIC tasks are linked to

Cindy Rosen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 18, 2023

I'm in Jira Work Management and I have EPICS and tasks. When I export to Excel, the tasks do not show under my EPIC. They print out according to when I entered them.  How do I export to have all the tasks under my EPIC appear in order.  I.e., line item EPIC, followed by Task 1 XXX, Task 4, XXXX, Task 37, xxxx, etc.

3 answers

1 vote
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 21, 2023

Hi @Cindy Rosen @crosen,

welcome to the community. This is indeed a bit tricky. If you use JQL, you can sort your issues by their epic, and by that create a kind of "grouping", but it wouldn't show your issues "below" their epic. To the best of my knowledge, you'll need extra tooling for this.

If you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, this would be trivial to do using the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. In a sense, it has a few things in common with Work Management's list view, however JXL comes with a range of advanced features, and also works in (and across!) projects of all types, not just JWM projects.

Plus, if you export to Excel from JXL, it will maintain the order that you see in Jira, with epics on top of their children if hierarchy is enabled:

export-hierarchy.gif

There may be other apps that can help with this, too. You may already know that you can trial any app for free for 1 month, and depending on the size of your size, it may be free forever. So if an app is an option for your, perhaps try a few and see which works best for you.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
RVS_Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2023

Hi @Cindy Rosen 

Exporting issues to an excel will have the "parent link" field. I believe you will have to manually group the tasks under Epic.
For a ready solution, if you are open for mktplace app you can try our app. Below are examples of the app screen and also a csv export of the epics.

Issue Hierarchy Reports 

Disclaimer : I am part of the team which developed this app

Epic Hierarchy.PNGEpic Hierarchy - CSV Export.png

0 votes
Mohanraj Thangamuthu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2023

Hello, Excel will have a field "parent link" and all task under in the excel file will have parent link added (to the Epic issue)

crosen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 21, 2023

I'm not understanding.  I just exported a file to see if it matched your answer. I have 4 EPICS with tasks, and in the "Parent link" in excel, it only shows one EPIC.  What have I not included in my Jira ticket to ensure all tasks associated with a unique EPIC, when exported, show up under that EPIC, regardless of when the task ticket is created? 

Thanks so much.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events