Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export list of project details to .csv

Gwen Coveny November 17, 2023

I'm new to JWM - looking for a straightforward way to export a weekly status list for a team meeting.

Is it possible within Team-managed projects to:

a) Add or edit an existing field within each open project so that a project manager can type in a current status (e.g. "11/17/2023:  John is working out referencing issue with client")

b) Output all open projects to .csv format where project manager can pull out several key columns for team review such as project name, owner, employee(s) who have open (non-completed) issues on board, current status (from "a" above)

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Becky Brooks - Visor for Jira
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2023

Ah, I see @Gwen Coveny

This was a requested feature for Atlassian that got marked as "Will Not Do." Users have provided ways to still accomplish this using SQL:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Export-option-for-Projects-list/qaq-p/771957

Alternatively, another user showed a way to see all your projects in a dashboard. (Note: you have to be an account admin):

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Cloud-Admins-questions/Project-Lists/qaq-p/2316158

I hope that helps!

-- Becky 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2023

Hi @Gwen Coveny

If you click "View All Issues", you should then see an Export issues option, which allows you to export to CSV. Have PMs hit "configure" for each issue beforehand to add text/paragraph/date fields with relevant context you need in the CSV.

Alternatively, if you want to make edits to Jira issues AND/OR add custom field data based on certain criteria (e.g., open project), you can use a tool like Visor. Visor's spreadsheet stays  in sync with Jira and allows users to edit filter and edit Jira data AND add custom fields. https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1226209/visor-flexible-spreadsheet-for-jira-roadmapping-bulk-edits?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

I hope that helps!

Take care,

Becky 

Step2ExportCSVFileJira.pngScreenshot 2023-11-17 at 6.00.21 PM.png

Gwen Coveny November 19, 2023

@Becky Brooks - Visor for Jira - Thanks very much for sending this. 

I'm actually looking to export a list of projects and not all of the project's individual issues. Our goal in the status meeting is to say "Project A...That's with Joe for proofreading and it will go to Jen next for Creative edits." This description would have been added to the project by the PM prior to exporting to csv. 

If it's not possible to output by project, I can follow your instructions and output a csv will all issues. I can then sort by project and turn off all the individual issues. This is helpful but I can't seem to find a way to edit a project's description. (Issues yes, but projects no). Is there a way?

It seems that there must be, because project description is a blank field in my test csv export.

Thanks!

Gwen

Gwen Coveny November 21, 2023

@Becky Brooks - Visor for Jira - Thanks for sending this information.

Would it be possible to add a custom text field to either the project's Summary page or to each issue of the project that would output to csv when exporting the list of all issues? That way, I could add a brief description that is the same for all of that project's issues.

As an example, I'm attaching an extract from my sample export of all issues. The highlighted column shows what I'm looking to add a custom field for. The status would be the same for each of the project's issues.

sample issue export.png

Thanks very much!

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 22, 2023

Hi @Gwen Coveny ,

I'm not 100% how to do this in Jira, just to be totally honest. I Googled how and couldn't find a clear cut answer.

I know Visor allows for multi-project data imports with JQL. Then, you can add Custom fields, filter what data you want to show and what you don't (e.g., the list of issues). So, Visor might work for you on that front with its filtering and ability to add custom fields. There's a CSV export too.

I'd write to Jira about a way to do this natively you don't want to use an outside app. I just searched the community and Google and couldn't find a clearcut answer. Sorry about that!

-- Becky 

Gwen Coveny November 28, 2023

@Becky Brooks - Visor for Jira - 
Thanks for looking into this further. I found a way to add a custom field to an issue and have it export to my csv file but it seems to apply to only one issue and the field would have to be re-created within the issues of each active project unless there's a way to automate it.

I'll instead follow your advice about writing to Jira about how to do this natively. I remember seeing a Jira page where you could make requests for software features/functionality but I'm having trouble locating it. Is there a link you'd suggest using to make a request? 

Thanks again!

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 28, 2023

Hi @Gwen Coveny ,

Yes, you can vote for features and make public requests for others to vote on here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JWMCLOUD-111

I'd search first to see if there are any requests that are aligned with what you're seeking before making a new one. 

-- Becky 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events