Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug with Group Selection in Global Permissions

sepp May 26, 2021

I noticed @-mentions were not working. So I followed the advice on Mentions and autocomplete not working.

I noticed I couldn't complete the step where I select the browse users permission and group down at the bottom of the global permissions page. I was only presented with the public option (German: "Öffentlich"). Same goes for the other permissions.

Once I added public, I suddenly was able to choose from the list of actual groups. After adding the desired group jira-core-users I was able to remove the public group again... see screenshots. 2021-05-26 13_18_59-Globale Berechtigungen - Jira.png2021-05-26 13_19_19-Globale Berechtigungen - Jira.png I was able to reproduce this multiple times as removing the last group from "Browse users and groups" caused "Public" being the only option to add to this group.

I tried to report this as a bug, but it was not possible due to the free tier I'm using.

Maybe this helps someone with the same issue, or maybe someone can actually report this as a bug.

Cheers

2 answers

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2021

Hi @sepp,

I don't have a free plan at my disposal to simulate, but it is definitely so that permission settings on that plan are limited, as you can see in This support article.

Besides that, in the eventuality that you might be able to configure these global settings, you need to have one or more groups configured before you can use them in global permissions settings. Next, searching for these groups is case sensitive. If you know you have groups available in your site, just see if you can find them here by typing the group name in the search box.

If they appear, problem solved - I hope. If they don't, you are probably running into free plan limitations.

Hope this helps!  

sepp May 26, 2021

Thanks @Walter Buggenhout Indeed, I have multi groups. I guess that's why I was able to select the groups that I did (ended up with default jira-core-users) after choosing public first and removing it afterwards.

I can't see the groups I have if I enter them in the search box

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2021

Hi @sepp  - Yes, Permissions are tightly controlled in the free product with very little changes being possible. I am actually surprised you were even able to change some of the things you did. Not sure that Atlassian would consider that a Bug, but I will let them consider that.  :-)

sepp May 26, 2021

afaik, the permissions restrictions are only on a project-level. For global permissions this should be possible (if I read the support articles right).

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2021

Definitely strange behavior. Are you a member of the group you are trying to add (when it is not public)? Atlassian doesn't let you do much with a group if you are not a member of that group. 

sepp May 26, 2021

Yes, I'm a member.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events