cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval Workflow

Aaron Corbin June 20, 2022

Hi everyone. 

Hope you are doing well. 

I know it is possible to create an approval workflow inside of Jira. But I wanted to understand how the approval is documented. For instance, if I needed to retain evidence of something being approved by x person for audit purposes, can this be can be achieved?

For instance, Microsoft has an approval workflow in Teams that creates a record which you can refer to later on.

Thank you in advance. 

3 answers

0 votes
Karyna Tyrnavska _SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 21, 2022

Hi, @Aaron Corbin !

to create an approval workflow inside of Jira try out Business Process Manager add-on.

My team has developed it to automate business processes and streamline procedures. Using it, you can add an approver step to your process template. It could be a single person or group of users that'll approve requests in sequential order.

image.png

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2022

Hey Aaron,

Only Jira Service Management has built in approvals and the process around that. The other project types/products  would need to handle approvals in a different manner - either updating a custom field or having the user record the approval in a comment. 

Regardless, there is a history kept for all such changes to the issue. 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2022

Hi Aaron,

It's been a while since I played around with approvers and I know they made a number of improvements since I last poured myself into that feature. However, you should be able to use like the following JQL to find issues by a specific approver. I just did a quick test and it seem to work.

"Approvals[Approvals]" = approver("jack brickey")

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events