how can set the sprint range in a Velocity chart

Ramakrishnan Harihara Mahadevan April 5, 2023

am trying to get velocity chart for my sprint board

by default it is coming for last 7 sprints.

i want to know the velocity chart for more than 20.. where to configure this

2 answers

1 vote
Sushant Verma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

Hi @Ramakrishnan Harihara Mahadevan 

Welcome to the community!

Right now, Jira Velocity chart is designed to show your last seven completed sprints

However, we have a feature request open make Velocity chart to use more or all the sprints from the board.

Velocity Chart should show all Sprints and not be limited to last 7 Sprints

I strongly recommend you to vote in this feature request and drop a comment to let the product management know about your use case. By doing this, it will ensure you're proactively informed of progress and updates going forward.

Regards,
Sushant Verma

Thank You Sushant  Verma.

I voted for this feature.

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2023

Hi @Ramakrishnan Harihara Mahadevan 

What problem are you trying to solve by doing that?  Knowing that may help the community to offer you suggestions to help.

For example, I hypothesize that Atlassian set a smaller limit for the number of sprints on the velocity chart because...

• the people and working methods for a team change over time,
  • scrum teams continually try to improve, and so
  • looking at information from far in the past may not provide value with future improvement activity.

In addition, and for the same ideas, if a team was using sprint velocity to help forecast future delivery, looking too far back may not help with forecasting.

Kind regards,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the response.

I want to understand the Velocity improvements of the scrum team after taking action on strengthening the scrum team with resources, product, tools/technologies and process trainings,

Cheers,

Hari

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2023

Thanks for that information, Hari.  How well can you see those impacts/improvements with seven sprints of data?  I hope they are visible, unless your sprints are only a couple of days in duration. 

When you believe you truly need more than seven sprints of data, your options are to export the Jira issue data to build your own reporting, or to investigate the Atlassian Marketplace for other dashboard gadgets and reporting.  There are even free options which would support this, such as the JavaScript Chart gadget from Atlassian: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1214527/javascript-charts-for-jira-cloud?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Please note that I am just a Jira user, and not a tool vendor or employee of Atlassian.

Ramakrishnan Harihara Mahadevan April 10, 2023

hi Bill Sheboy,

i will ty to use the App.

thanks for your suggestions.

cheers,

hari

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL