copy epic link field from user story to task when they are linked

Yuliia Zhyliaieva June 18, 2020

Could you please help me configure the automation rule?

I have user stories within an Epic.

I break down user stories into tasks (not subtasks).

When I link a task to a User story as a child issue, I need the Epic link field to be automatically copied from User story into the task.

Here is one of the configurations, but it does not work, as well as the previous 50(((Untitled.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2020

Hi @Yuliia Zhyliaieva 

It seems working when I tried the rule as below, while linking from Task to Story (I used 'is blocked by' relation here).

Automation.png

Thank you! 

I tried to remake it for Parent to link, it didn't work. Then I tried reproducing your rule - but it did not work either. Looking at the logs I cannot see what is wrong - I definitely have Epic Link field on the screen for both User Stories and Tasks issue types, and User story is within an Epic. Any ideas?Untitled.png

Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2020

@Yuliia ZhyliaievaI believe the EWCJ-10 is the Task and EWCJ-24 is the Story. ?

Can you share the screenshot of the 'Edit issue fields' part.

Untitled.png

EWCJ-10 is a story that has an Epic link, EWCJ-24 is a task that has an empty Epic link field that I want to update

Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2020

So it's the wrong issue that's been picked up by the rule.

Try adding link from Task, by setting relation like Task 'is blocked by' Story.

And see how it comes.

Like Yuliia Zhyliaieva likes this

Untitled.png

Finally got it (printscreen above). Gikku_Mathew_John,  thanks for supporting me through this experiment! 

Like Gikku likes this
0 votes
andriy_seniv December 14, 2022

I also faced similar problem as @Yuliia Zhyliaieva Thank you both - for rising this issue and for the solving @Gikku  :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events