can you import a workflow from an XML file in Jira Cloud?

catherine.lee November 6, 2020

I am a global administrator for our Atlassian suite and I followed the path described at the beginning of this article (Administration settings cog > Issues > Workflows) but I don't see the "Import from XML" button. There is only the option to Import from the Marketplace.
My company uses Jira Cloud; do the instructions on this page not apply to Cloud? Is the "Import from XML" function available for Cloud?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user November 6, 2020

Yes, it is possible. However,  it would require you to upload the workflow (.jwb format only) as a public workflow in the Atlassian Marketplace first before you can import that into your Jira Cloud instance.

Kindly refer to the following documentation for the steps on how to import a workflow in Jira Cloud.

https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/marketplace/knowledge-base/how-do-i-import-a-workflow-into-a-jira-cloud-instance/

Please be noted that the workflow that created Jira Server that contains third-party workflow post functions, conditions or validators might not be working in Jira Cloud.

Thank you.

Eric Brahmann September 15, 2022

Hi @[deleted] ,

I am just wondering, why you need to store those workflows in the Marketplace.
I would like to locally back up my workflows, seems to be much easier.
Is there already an Issue in the Jira Cloud Project open, so i can comment on that?

Eric

Like Ahmed Nassar likes this
Wojtek Tomalik September 27, 2022

Uploading a workflow to the marketplace just for the sake of sharing is a HUGE pain. You need published customer terms and everything. This is completely ridiculous that you can't just import an exported jwb file to another cloud account, or share between cloud accounts that your account has access to...

Like # people like this
23 votes
Sanwar Mal December 10, 2022

Seriously!,  Why you give option to export locally if import is possible only via marketplace.

Product managers at Atlassian must be having just fun at work. It's a simple functionality been made complicated.

Andrey Ivanov March 19, 2024

Actually, this is not even possible to publish exported workflow in Marketplace as it contains, at least, "Internal" company data.

Ridiculous... Is it true that we can't simply export and import our internal workflow between our Server and Cloud instances without letting anyone see it?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events