Why isn't there a dark mode.

Tor-Ada Solberg February 25, 2022

Please implement a dark mode for Jira. Everywhere.
The white pages burn my eyes out and it makes me hate a piece of software that is good in so many other ways.

Implementing this feature would make me want to actually use for instance the description field of tasks more regularly. These days i just link to github, that has a dark mode, where i write my comments on my cases.

EDIT:
I did not state this in my first message, but a big point to make here is that this is a highly requested feature in the community, and using a "dark mode extension" isn't an option for many developers because of company security policies.

Staring down very white pages are a migraine trigger for many people and this should therefore be considered a major issue in regards of A11Y.

Kind regards
Tor-Ada

4 answers

1 vote
Linette
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2022

I'd echo @Tobias D , to watch this issue as that's where updates will be shared.

We want to make sure if it's done it's done right, which means no unusuable sections because someone forgot to update the text color for that deeply nested error message, or 'checkerboard' experiences which are even worse on the eye. Turns out there are lots of nooks and crannies which need attention!

Tor-Ada Solberg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 6, 2022

All right.

Thanks for the update.

1 vote
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2022

@Tor-Ada Solberg ,

While not official you can always use https://darkreader.org

It's a handy one to darken any site you want.

Thank you,
It worked better than what it did before. 
But frankly, I have friends who work in locations where they must use Jira cloud, but aren't allowed to install anything, even extensions on their computers because of security reasons.
And I think Atlassian should cater to them too.
There has been an open community request since 2016, and they've ignored it completely, and they wont even give updates on what the roadmap looks like.

1 vote
Tobias D February 25, 2022

@Tor-Ada Solberg 

You can try to use this Dark mode for Jira chrome Extension. 

Maybe it will help.

You can also vote and watch this issue.

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2022

Okay now I understand, literally dark 😅

Thanks

0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2022

@Tor-Ada Solberg 

In Cloud there is no dark mode since the system administrator is taken care by Atlassian and Atlassian do not want modifying system settings. That's it 🙂

Well, I hope they will allow for the setting in Jira cloud ASAP.
That they don't want to is not an acceptable position when there are users of the software that suffer from migraines.

This is an A11Y problem.

Like hannah jade slatin likes this

Like how hard can it be to implement a toggle switch.

@Tor-Ada Solberg 

I think @Pramodh M thought you meant something like an Incognito Tab for Jira.

@Tobias D that is likely. 

I just want to stress the fact that some people aren't able to, because of workplace rules, to use anything else than the base version of their respective browsers, and actually have to wait for Atlassian to implement the Dark Mode feature for them to enjoy the joy of using their software without eye-strain.

Spending time out of their day looking at completely white screens are migraine triggering for some, and therefore a market leading company like Atlassian should take the software request seriously. Maybe even as a crisis measure. Everyone would be fine with there being a notice "Beta feature - you could experience some instability when using this feature" on the option.

They might even get input, and user testing in place even faster if they let the community help them debug.

@Tor-Ada Solberg 

Like in this ticket you can see that they want to give more information in the first Quarter of this year.

So maybe they are ready to publish by then or something but tbh i don't have much hope that Dark mode will be implemented by default from Atlassian because the Ticket is nearly 6.5 years old.

Like Tor-Ada Solberg likes this

Should have linked this in earlier.

I know that they have a ticket from 2016, which I reference without a link(that was stupid) in another thread.

Frankly I just think they need to come back to us sooner. 

Suggest an answer