Why does pasting text turn into a PDF?

ben_d March 18, 2021

Hi all!

So when I try to copy & paste some text into Jira task descriptions, it attaches it as a PDF file - is there a way to stop this and paste it as text only?

Also, it would be great if when pasting text, any linked text (any text with external website links) is also pasted.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2021

Are you pasting out from pdfs?  If so, then it's because the metadata behind it is being picked up and telling Jira it's a pdf

ben_d March 18, 2021

Unfortunately no, I'm just pasting text from a Word doc.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2021

Hmm, that suggests an app is intercepting your pastes, or the word doc is possibly retaining "I was pasted from pdf before".

When I paste stuff from a word doc, I get text in the field.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2021

Hi @ben_d  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Just checking: are you using a Classic or Next-Gen project?

Best regards,

Bill

ben_d March 18, 2021

Hi guys, thank you both for your replies!

So I’m copying text from a word doc that has always been a Word doc and the text was typed on the Word doc on my MacBook Pro and pasting it into the Jira app on Mac. 

And I believe I’m using a next gen project as we have the epic and sprint/rush features.

I’m currently having to copy the text into the top search bar on Google chrome and copying it from that and back into Jira but it means I have to redo all the formatting so it’s quite a pain.

Thanks again!

danielt-ktg-tech December 2, 2021

Any answer on this?  The same is happening to me.  I don't care about formatting but why is simple text cut and paste tuning into a damm PDF?  How do I turn off this feature?  This is stupid.  Jira can't even paste simple text right...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2021

Where are you pasting it from?  Have you tried pasting it into a simple text editor first, then into Jira?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events