What means the name JIRA?

Eduardo Gomes Moreira
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 29, 2022

What does the acronym JIRA mean?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2022

Hey @Eduardo Gomes Moreira, and welcome to the community! :)

The story is quickly told. The Atlassian team used Bugzilla and they started calling it Godzilla internally. In Japan, the character is called Gojira or Kujira. And that's why it's called Jira. By the way, that also explains why it's pronounced "JEEra".

Here's a very old Atlassian documentation article about it: What does JIRA mean? 

Best, Max

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2022

To be precise, "kujira" means "whale" in Japanese, while "gorira" is "gorilla" in Japanese. Then "Gojira" is a mix of those two words!

I am serious! :-D

Like # people like this
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

Ha! Thank you, @Aron Gombas _Midori_. I can add another piece of nerd wisdom to my knowledge. I didn't know about the gorilla part. 😄

Like # people like this
Eduardo Gomes Moreira
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 29, 2022

Thanks a lot! Amazing!

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

Great story! 

0 votes
Donnell Boyle
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 3, 2024

That why they named him Godzilla 

Suggest an answer