Transition Automation does not work

Giorgos Antonopoulos September 10, 2022

Hello everyone,

I've spent a couple of days trying to create a status transition automation for my epic.

I've tried a multitude of things but for some reason, none of them succeed and it's really getting frustrating.

Need:

I want to transition my Epic to 'In Progress' every time an assignee moves a sub-task (child issue of the story nested in the Epic) to 'In Progress status.

This is what I currently have:

• This one (Based on this doc) doesn't work at all 

Screenshot_8.png

• The second one works only for Stories as a sub-task is transitioned:

Screenshot_1.png

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2022

Hi @Giorgos Antonopoulos

Welcome to the community!

The first rule won't work because you are using Epic Parent branching which only works with Epics and issues that are linked via the Epic links.  So if you have sub-tasks under your epic, it will not trigger work since sub-tasks have a parent child relationships.

Is your goal to move an epic in progress, when the sub-tasks of a story that is linked to the epic moves to in-progress? if so, I will try the following:

1. Keep the second rule 

2. Update the first rule and remove the sub-task conditions.

3. Check box next to Allow rule trigger in Rule details in the second rule

This is what should happen.

1. Subtaks is moved to in progress and the parent story will transition to in progress if it's not already

2. It will then trigger the first rule, where the story now moved and now the epic if it's not in progress already it will be transitioned.

I hope this helps.  

Giorgos Antonopoulos September 10, 2022

That was fast ^^

It worked!!! Thank you very much

Like John Funk likes this
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2022

No problem. 

Feel free to sub to my channel.  I will use your post as a video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNpoN5CO_xVHjHLMaU4h02w

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events