Text Field Validators

Holly Schomann June 14, 2021

Help!
Using text field validators, I am trying to require a custom text field to be updated before the ticket can be moved to the next status in the workflow. 

The text field default value includes text (instructions on what to enter), therefore I can not select the validator that the field must have a value entered to proceed as there is already text in the field.

I have selected the validator that the field must be updated to transition, however, it won't seem to allow the issue to transition even after I update the text in the field.  Any suggestions?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Airbus Driver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2021

I have selected the validator that the field must be updated to transition

Which validator is this? Did you choose the validator 'Field has been modified Validator' and then choose the custom text field from the drop down menu (in the next page)? Don't forget to save and publish changes.

Holly Schomann June 15, 2021

Thanks Viggo,

I appreciate you taking time off from your films to help me with my jira issues ;-)

Yes, that is what I have chosen. It works, it actually works TOO well.  Even after i have updated the text in the field, it won't allow me to move the ticket forward.

Any thoughts?

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 3.17.26 PM.png

Like Airbus Driver likes this
Airbus Driver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2021

Haha thanks! I decided to take some time off after LOTR!

So, I managed to recreate your issue, thanks for the screenshot. The validator only seems to work when you have a Screen associated with the transition (a screen appears when performing the transition).

Here is what I would suggest for what you're trying to achieve:

1. Create a screen with the 'Acceptance Criteria: (how to test / end user/ conditions to be met') field;

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 9.54.14 am.png

2. Edit the workflow transition and choose this screen from the drop down menu;

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 9.55.46 am.png

3. Add the same validator as before;

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 9.57.18 am.png

4. During the transition, you'll get the following screen;

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 9.59.29 am.png

Hope this helps!

Like Vikrant Yadav likes this
Holly Schomann June 30, 2021

Thank you so much for this suggestion. Apologies for the late response as I was on vacation last week.

I did indeed try the steps above.  However, even if I have edited the acceptance criteria field, it still provides a screen suggesting that I need to update acceptance criteria in order to move forward.

Open to any other suggestions you may have. I may have to see if I can get some response from Jira support.

Airbus Driver
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2021

No worries at all, I hope you had a good time off :)

Can you please try checking if you have the custom field (acceptance criteria) set as REQUIRED in the field configuration? If so, perhaps try unchecking this option and try again.

Like Holly Schomann likes this
Holly Schomann July 1, 2021

Thank you so much. I unchecked this as a required field and I still get the screen asking for this field to be updated even if I had already updated the field.

Additionally, the screen prompts me to add a comment (rather than bringing up just the acceptance criteria field).  However, this is secondary to my issue of this prompt appearing even If I have already updated the acceptance criteria field.

sigh.

Any more suggestions?

Holly

ps-I am kinda sad you changed your user name.

Airbus Driver
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2021

I'll always be Viggo for you :)

Hmm...this sounds a little bit complicated without checking your Screen schemes. Perhaps engaging Jira support might be easier?

The only other things that I can think of (and we've discussed) are;

1. Workflow validators/conditions - check to see that you don't have any additional validators/conditions defined for this field (maybe defined again elsewhere?)

2. Make sure that this field is not set to REQUIRED in the field configuration

The alternative to using a validator for this is to define a CONDITION. That means that the next workflow transition will ONLY be permitted if that custom field is filled-in in a particular status. If you do this, remove the screen from the transition and remove any existing validators.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events