Table default value for Text Field (multi-line) costume field

Dana.Harel June 13, 2022

I want to create a default value for a Text Field (multi-line) costume field. 

The default value which I would like to add is a table. 

I tried to add the following text: " ||*test*|| "

However, when I create the issue type the text doesn't appear as a table. 

11.png111.png

I know that this works in an automation and a table is being created. 

Please advise if there is a way to create a default table 

Thanks 

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Filipi Lima
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 23, 2022

Hi, Dana,

On the field configuration for your custom field, select *Wiki Style Rendering* and the renderer. I was just testing this on a local Data Center instance (version 8.20.8 for reference) and with this default:

* This is a test value
* Another points
|| Table com 1| table column2|
| b1 | b2 ||
* Another bullet

I have this on the screen:

image.png

See if the same applies to Cloud!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2022

Indeed that seems to work. Thanks @Filipi Lima 

Like # people like this
Dana.Harel June 23, 2022

Hi @Filipi Lima @Jack Brickey Thanks for the comment

It seems like i dont have the option to choose *Wiki Style Rendering* and the renderer.

Issues>Costume fields>Contexts and default valueroot.png

Edit default value defualt value.png

1111.png

Filipi Lima
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 23, 2022

HI @Dana.Harel , the rendered configuration is on the Field Configuration. I can see it just below the Custom Fields option on the left-menu.

See if you can edit the Renderer there for your field.

Dana.Harel June 23, 2022

Thanks @Filipi Lima 

I did manage to change the field configuration to Renderer. 

Yet the default value is still presented as text

11.png12.png13.png

Filipi Lima
Atlassian Team
June 23, 2022

Hello, again. I see that at least the bullet points got "translated" into bullet points.

I think I sent you a formatting example that doesn't seem to work for Cloud, without the double bars at the end of the heading row.

For reference, this is what I'm looking at now:

https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa?section=tables

Try this:

||heading 1||heading 2||heading 3||
|col A1|col A2|col A3|
|col B1|col B2|col B3|

Let me know if that works!

Tobias October 26, 2022

Hi @Filipi Lima ,

on which screen have you tested the default value? I was just testing it on the screen of a transition and therefore it was not display. For the create screen it worked. So I am currently searching for a solution how to fix this for a screen which is part of a transition. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2022

Hi @Dana.Harel , while editing a text field in the edit issue view supports markdown, it appears that the editor in the Default value screen does not. I am wondering if, rather than Default, you could use Automation to accomplish your goal?

Dana.Harel June 13, 2022

Hi @Jack Brickey nice to meet you!

I want to know if its possible to already define by default that when I'm creating the issue from scratch - a table will appear inside the field. 

The problem with using an automation is that the automation will run only after the issue is created , and i want the table to be pre-inserted to the field so who ever creates the issue can already fill in the details in the table. 

Tobias October 26, 2022

Hi @Jack Brickey
Currently I am facing the same issue. The default field value seems not to be added if the required field is on the edit screen. On the create screen it appears immediately, really sad. You mentioned Automation but I have the same use case as @Dana.Harel - I also need the table at a specific part of the worklflow (part of a transition screen), but I think therefore I have to search another solution. 

JT _ Verifiable February 22, 2023

The default value does not support markdown but it does support markUP (the old way).

For instance this doesn't work...

# My Heading

But this does...

h1. My Heading

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/confluence-wiki-markup-251003035.html#ConfluenceWikiMarkup-Headings

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events