Sprint Rollover and Committed versus Completed

shar_pentecost March 12, 2021

Hello, 

My question pertains to the number of story points committed to versus story points completed (under the velocity chart in JIRA).  Does the committed points include ONLY new stories committed to in the new sprint OR does it also include Rollover Story points AND New items the team has committed to?

Ex. Team Committed to 10 pts however they only completed 5 pts in Sprint 1.

In Sprint 2, they roll those stories over (so +5) and take an additional 10 points for a total of 15. If they complete everything in sprint 2, Will their committed versus completed be 10 committed; 15 completed. OR will it be 15 committed; 15 completed. 

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2021

Hi @shar_pentecost  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I believe what that chart calls "committed" is the work which was planned for the sprint when the sprint started, whatever the source: newly started or carry-over.

Best regards,

Bill

shar_pentecost March 12, 2021

Thank you very much Bill. I appreciate your response.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2021

Hi, @shar_pentecost !  If you see a different behavior happening after some sprints complete, I recommend you post back here or ask your site admin to submit a defect to Atlassian to investigate: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events