Resolution status

Troy August 12, 2022

The story resolution status was accidentally set to "Done".  We can change the workflow status from Done to Testing.  However we cannot change the resolution field (see yellow box below). Is there a way change the resolution or have it reset? 

example resolution field  - Done.png

3 answers

3 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2022

Hi Troy - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You need to add a post function to clear the resolution field on the transition from Done back to testing.

Troy August 15, 2022

My apologies for not adding a picture. (I have since done so. ) The field is called a resolution field when I run the cursor over it. And it operates differently from the the dropdown area to the left.  The area on the left I can change but once I change the resolution field to "Done" then its sticks. With the post function then I will look that up. Thank you!

Like John Funk likes this
2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Please don't say "resolution status", it's very confusing.  Resolution and Status are different things in Jira and "resolution status" is not clear on which one you mean.

I think you are talking about resolution.  There's no way to set this to "unresolved" (which is actually a null or empty cell in the issue table, not a value) because the UI won't let you select an empty value.

All you can do here is move the issue through a transition that has a "clear the resolution" post-function set on it.

You also need to remove the resolution field from any create or edit screens.

Troy August 15, 2022

Certainly - maybe I should have used the term "resolution field", perhaps? Thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2022

That's much better :-)  Absolutely no chance of confusion with that!

Troy August 15, 2022

I have added a picture to the scenario I was talking about.  I think the "clear the resolution" post function or the removal of the resolution field from create/edit screens will help here.  I am checking it out to see if I can get team agreement. Thank you! 

0 votes
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2022

Just to follow up what the other guys have said.  The Resolution field in Jira if it has any value what so ever the issue is considered Resolved regardless of what that value is.  So as mentioned the only way to reset that to a non-value(null/empty) is through a post function in the workflow.  You might want to consider a ReOpen transition off of your Done status(not resolution) to address this where the post function moves the ticket back to Open and clears the value in the Resolution field.

Troy August 15, 2022

My apologies for not adding a picture. (I have since done so. ) The field is called a resolution field when I run the cursor over it. And it operates differently from the the dropdown area to the left.  The area on the left I can change but once I change the status then its sticks. The Re-Open status in the workflow allows for the task or story to be re-opened but it does not resolve the "Done" in the resolution field.  That seems to run independently. Thank you!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events