Remove item from active Sprint

ad79 June 7, 2020

I recently signed up for JIRA Software and created some backlog items and have 1 active sprint.  In the active sprint, I have a couple of items that I want to move back to the backlog.  I am unable to find any option that allows me to do this.  I have seen some other posts where it directs you to go to the card and click on 'Remove from Sprint,' but I do not see this anywhere.  Is it even possible to do this? 

I'm not sure where to find what version number I am using, but I signed up for JIRA Software roughly 1 week back if that helps. 

Also, is it possible to create additional sprints in advance and not start them?  I mean I want to begin setting up my sprints for the next 2 to 3 weeks and do some planning that way.  Again, I don't see how I can create additional sprints in advance.

Thank you for your help in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2020

@ad79 

Go to Backlog on the left frame of Jira Screen, click on it.

Once it opens, right click on the issue you want to move back to the backlog and then select from the options. You should be able to move the issues back to the backlog.

You also should be able to create additional sprints. If you can hide any confidential information after taking a screenshot that will be very helpful.

Best,

Fadoua

ad79 June 8, 2020

Hi Fedoua, thanks for your response.  I looked at what you suggested, but for some reason the items I am trying to move back to the backlog do NOT appear in the backlog anymore.

I've attached my sprint so you can see how I have setup.  Essentially, what I am trying to do is move the 'To Do' items back into the backlog. 

Image 13.png

Thanks,

ad79

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2020

@ad79 

Please take a look at my screenshots:

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 9.53.25 PM.png

Once you click on backlog, you next screen right click on one of the issues:

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 9.59.52 PM.png

As you can see the menu has the option you are looking for.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Fadoua

ad79 June 8, 2020

Thanks Fadoua very much.  The reason the task that I wanted to move from the active sprint back to the backlog was NOT showing is because I had created it as a sub-task.  When I finally figured that out then I was able to move the specific task out of the parent and back to the backlog. 

Thanks buddy... I appreciate all your help. 

-ad79

Like Fadoua likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2020

My pleasure anytime!

Bruce Bookman February 16, 2021

I have an item that refuses to move from a sprint to the backlog.  I drag to the backlog, and it pops right back to the sprint.  I do the right click and select Top of Backlog and nothing happens.  HELP

screenshot.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events