Migrating from Microsoft Planner

Joe F.
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 15, 2021

My first attempt at migrating a Microsoft Planner plan to a Jira project was a really frustrating experience. It took several hours and required a lot of manual editing of the CSV exported from Planner. We have dozens of projects, so this will not scale. I'm looking for help or suggestions on how to automate this as much as possible, given the following hierarchy:

Plan -> Project

Bucket -> Epic

Task -> Story

Checklist item -> Subtask

Task Name -> Summary

The rest of the mappings are pretty obvious. I am not a developer. If there are PowerShell scripts available for preparing the CSV for import, I can adapt and implement them. But I am not proficient enough to write them from scratch.

Here are the problems I am having:

- I couldn't figure out how to import all these tasks at once and create epics from the values in the 'bucket' column. I had to create another spreadsheet containing the bucket names to build the epics and import that first. Then I did a second import job to import the planner CSV, mapping the bucket column as the epic link.

- Subtasks are grouped together in a single column separated by semicolons. I had to export them to another CSV, and then manually map them to a Parent ID, which I had to manually create for each subtask. This took hours, as there were over 100 subtasks in the plan.

I'm grateful for any feedback or suggestions.

0 answers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events