Jira tickets not showing updated description for a custom field

Brad Lackey March 24, 2021

I've updated the description of a custom field multiple times, but the most recent updated verbiage is not showing up in our Jira tickets. Am I missing step to force these updates to "publish" somehow?

• Customer Field settings:

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 7.56.54 AM.png

• Customer field description within tickets (showing a previous description; latest description not updating)

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 7.57.11 AM.png

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2021

Hi Brad,

There is a bug in Jira that won't do the update through the normal process. You need to edit the Field Configuration used by that project and update the Description there. That overrides the standard Description that comes with the field. 

That did the trick. Thank you!

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2021

@Brad Lackey  , apart from the custom field's configuration, do look at the relevant field configuration (from the project's field configuration scheme) and look at he field's description there as well.

the field's description in the field configuration overrides the field's global description value.

@Fazila Ashraf this worked, thank you! I'm going to accept the other answer since John calls out that is a known bug. 

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2021

Hi @Brad Lackey 

Glad it fixed your issue.

I do not see that as a bug though but as a feature.

This behaviour gives me the flexibility to scope different description text to the same field in different project/issue type context.

Like Brad Lackey likes this
Brad Lackey March 26, 2021

Yes, I can understand that. If it's not an actual bug, so be it. I did not submit one for it.

Thanks again!

Brad

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events