Jira different hierarchy levels for projects

Dawid Ankowski May 26, 2022

Hello. I'm a little bit confused about Jira issues hierarchy levels.
I can see that in Issue types -> Issue type hierarchy is defined structure Sub-task -> Story -> Epic -> Theme -> Initiative.
I want to use a different hierarchy for only one project where Initiative is between Epic and Theme. Theme is on top.
I surmise that changing it in the Issue type hierarchy will affect all projects?
There is any way to solve my problem?

jira hierarchy.png

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2022

Unfortunately you cannot set the hierarchy for individual projects, changing the hierarchy will affect all projects. There are requests to have this feature added, here is one of them, JSWCLOUD-21815. Go and vote for it if you want to see it implemented. 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2022

A workaround would be to use an app like JXLHierarchy for Jira  or Structure which allows you to set your own hierarchy.

Like # people like this
Dawid Ankowski May 27, 2022

Thank you for your answer!

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 31, 2022

Hi @Dawid Ankowski

If you consider using a plugin - BigPicture/  BigGantt may be a good match. The apps allow to create automatic rules for a no-limited number of WBS levels. Task Structure can be created based on both build-in task attributes (e.g., Epic link, Component, Version, Sprint) as well as Jira links. 

Please let me know if you have more questions. 
0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 26, 2022

Hi @Dawid Ankowski 

You can use Issue Links to create own hierarchy and also it will not affect your Roadmaps setup. To visualize your issue hierarchy based on links you can try out our app,

Issue Hierarchy Reports 

And generate insights such as:

- View the full Jira Issue Type hierarchy of Linked issues,
Portfolio/Advanced Roadmaps, Epics, and Subtasks up to 10 levels.

- % complete based on time spent and story points at each hierarchy level

- Sum up Time Spent, Org Estimate, Time Rmng, custom number
fields

Links HIerarchy.PNG

Dawid Ankowski May 29, 2022

Thanks for info!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS