Issues creation via email on JIRA Software by unlicensed users

Blazej Czyzyk June 30, 2021

Hi Everyone,

we have a kanban project configured on our JIRA Software cloud and we'd like to:

1. enable our Client employees (37 of them) who do not have license to JIRA Software to raise issues via email which will appear on JIRA kanbab board,

2. then the plan is that 3 of the Client's superusers who do have license to JIRA Software will qualify the bug/issue on that board and later on our internal team will handle next steps.

The issue is with with step 1 - is there any easy way to configure this on JIRA Software without quote for additional 37 licenses?

Thanks in advance,

Blazej

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2021

Hello @Blazej Czyzyk 

Welcome to the community.

Yes, this can be done, as per this document:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-issues-and-comments-from-email/

See the section titled "Receive emails from new users"

To allow Jira to handle email messages sent from people without a Jira user account:

1. Create an anonymous or dummy mail account on your mail server.
  2. Create an equivalent anonymous or dummy Jira user account, whose email address matches the mail account you just created. 
  3. When configuring your mail handler options, set the Default Reporter to be the anonymous or dummy Jira user account.
Blazej Czyzyk July 1, 2021

Thanks @Trudy Claspill - I believe it is essential to create dummy email account under my company's domain, or can this be for instance... jira.tests2021@gmail.com?

This is what I did + added this is email as a user who have an access to the project + set it up as a Default Reporter. 

As per the instruction you've pasted, there should be TEST button to validate whether this feature works properly, but I can't find it as per as per below:

Zrzut ekranu 2021-07-1 o 12.24.44.png

Like Gabriella Molnar-Tóth likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2021

I don't see the Test button when I try it in my instance either. I guess the article is not entirely accurate.

I do not know if it is necessary to create the email account under your company's domain. If Jira has the ability to access the email account, I don't think the domain should matter.

Suggest an answer