Issue Layout unable to move fields between areas

Paul Batty April 24, 2019

Hi,

Ok, let's start with the basics. 

I am using:

• Jira Cloud.
  • 2 new custom fields:
    • Text Field (multi-line) (Service Version in attached pic)
    • Select List (single choice) (Dev Service in attached pic)

I have:

• Assigned them correctly to my issue type.
  • Can see both fields on my issues.

Questions:

Issue_layout.png

From the attached screenshot you can see Service Version is in the Description Area and Dev Service is in the Primary Fields section.

1. How do you define which of the areas (Description Area, Primary Fields, Secondary Fields) a custom field will be displayed?
  2. How can you change where custom fields are displayed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2019

Hi Paul - Welcome to the Community!

You should be able to simply drag the fields into the section you want them displayed.  It's really up to you to decide where you want the custom fields displayed. 

Now, having said that, this applies only to the "new" JIRA Issue view and is not possible in the "old" JIRA issue view.

Paul Batty April 25, 2019

Hi  John,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately you cannot drag between areas, only drag within the area to change order.

I am not sure what is "old" and "new" Jira Issue view is, I am using Jira cloud.

Still not sure how new Custom fields get assigned to the different areas in the Issue layout, I can't find anything that differentiates them apart from the type of the control.

So I am still clueless I'm afraid.

Thanks,

Paul

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2019

Hey Paul,

Take a look at this link:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/configure-field-layout-in-the-issue-view-961798059.html

Specifically this section:

Field categories

Description area
This section is reserved for custom multi-line text fields, similar to the built-in description field. You can reorder or hide these fields, but you can't move them to the primary or secondary areas.

Like # people like this
Paul Batty April 25, 2019

John, 

You are a legend. This has answered my questions. I'd like to be able to move the fields to whichever section I want but I guess a multi-line text control needs to remain in the Description Area for real-estate purposes.

Again, thank you, I shall mark this as resolved.

Cheers,

Paul

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2019

Thank you, sir - you are too kind!

Sorry, it doesn't have the functionality you are looking for (me either :-( 

0 votes
Sejal September 3, 2020

By far the most terrible idea to limit the position of field based on their configuration type.  My users keep complaining they want context field to be shown under descriptions an it appears i can't do that without converting all my fiend to multiple line txt field.  I have radio buttons, and fields with check boxes, nothing can be moved under description......

I hope we have better solution SOON!!!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 4, 2020

Hi Sejal,

This is not the place to post such comments and no one will see them. 

You should add comments directly to the Request here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-70555

0 votes
Evan Wolf July 31, 2019

So I have to convert all my single-line text fields to multi-line text fields in order to move them into the 'description area'?

I can't manage the 'description area' on my own?

My fields are all showing in 'Primary Fields' now which makes the ticket look like a CVS receipt..

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2019

Yep - see this for more info:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/configure-field-layout-in-the-issue-view-961798123.html?_ga=2.63173800.601105364.1564402946-1082435282.1542634250#Configurefieldlayoutintheissueview-Descriptionarea

So, one thing you can do is limit the number of fields that show up for a given project or issue type based on the context of the custom field. 

Suggest an answer