Impact of changing project key?

Teja Bhaghavathi June 3, 2022

While we are trying to change the project key I am getting the attached error.

Please let me know the consequences.

4 answers

2 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2022

Hi @Teja Bhaghavathi ,

when you change a project key, JIRA will maintain the old project key and the new one. It means that users can access issues within the old and the new key in the same way.

Moreover, all existing links, filters and so on will be not impacted by this change.

A reindexing is needed to keep up to date indexes based on the new key.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

Thảo Nguyễn August 7, 2023

Hi @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ ,

I think that changing the project key before migrating a project to another Jira instance can potentially result in the loss of some historical data.

It seems as though modifying the project key is a contributing factor to this issue.

Please correct me if I make a misunderstanding here!

Thanks,

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2023

Hi @Thảo Nguyễn ,

I don't think that project key change can cause loss of the historical data.

Fabio

Hi @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ ,

Thanks for quick answer.

I migrated more than 30 projects and they have full historical data.

Only one project that I make changes Project Key loss of them.

The history shows as the pic.

Please take a look, 

Thanksques.PNG

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 7, 2023

@Thảo Nguyễn for my experience is should be not related to project key change. Try to raise a support request to Atlassian team

Let me try on another project.

Thank you so much for your reply.

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2022

That is just a warning that external integrations may not function after the renaming. There are no consequences within Jira, since it redirect any links to the old project key to the new one. 

0 votes
carlos_marin - ENTELGY -
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2022

There is not any impact on the functionality. The only thing to keep in mind is that you can not use anymore the old key as jira keeps in the databases for compatibility.

Best regards,

0 votes
Teja Bhaghavathi June 3, 2022

Project key error.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS