I cant create a subtask

Sebastiaan Burger April 22, 2021

I Am trying to create subtasks however, I keep on getting: 

A subtask cannot be assigned to an epic.

Can someone please advise me on solving this issue

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021

Why are you trying to create sub-tasks on an Epic?  They're not intended to have sub-tasks, they're there for grouping stories together.

Not at all, I am in a task view,

My steps to reproduce:
1 - Beneath my Task name, there are 3 buttons, the middle one is to create a subtaskCapture.PNG
2 - This opens a text input underneath my description
3 - After completing this field, and It opens a modal when I click on CreateCapture2.PNGCapture2b.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021

Ah, ok, you’re not trying to add subtasks to an epic.

You just have the epic-link field on the sub-task create screen.  Ideally, you should get an admin to remove it from the screen.  

But this is just a warning message, it's telling you that you can't link a sub-task to an Epic, and hence why it's not offering you the field.

You can't link sub-tasks to Epics because it's nonsense to do so - a sub-task is part of another issue, so it is logically already linked to an Epic by virtue of being part of its parent.

Thanks, I am the admin, I have removed it from the screen, However, if I click on create it says Field Epic Link is required.

I cant remove the required field of an epic link, What can I do?

Like Aaron Zook likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2021

Ah, good, I was going to say much the same in answer to your previous comment!

Like Sebastiaan Burger likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events