How to remove a label from the recent labels list?

Larry Allen September 23, 2021

I created a label for an issue in a team-managed project and decided to use different wording. Now the old label is cluttering my recently used labels list. And I wonder if it clutters the list for other users, too, which could be a source of confusion and incorrectly using the "bad" label.

How can I remove a label from recently used labels list?

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2021

Hi @Larry Allen ,

In theory, label suggestions are only shown for labels that are already used on an issue. If no more issues have a certain label, that label will eventually be removed from the suggestions.

However, I've found that eventually really is the key here, with some labels sticking around a bit longer than I would have liked and even (reportedly) for different length for different users. I assume that some caching is involved, but have not found any official statement from Atlassian.

So, hang tight that label should be gone soon unless it's already been used elsewhere. 

Of course, if you want to have a bit more visibility on the labels used within a project or within Jira, I can recommend Project Labels, a label management app for Jira Cloud.

Hope that helps,
 Oliver 

Full disclosure: I work for Jodocus, the Marketplace Partner behind Project Labels. Let me know if you need any help getting started or have any questions or feedback.

Thank you. Yes, it would be nice if immediately removed when not used on any issue.

3 votes
Tudor April 6, 2022

seems it's part of the __storejs_cache_prefix_labels from local storage

once i removed the key all is ok

Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2022

Oh, that's good to know, thanks!

Like # people like this
2 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2021

Hi @Larry Allen welcome to the Atlassian community.

Please be informed, in-order to completely delete a label from a JIRA instance, the label must be first removed from all the issues in that instance. Once it is removed from all issues, it will no longer be seen when browsing a labels.

Please access this document for related details.

Thank you. I keep wondering when it will disappear. :)

Allison Phillips January 10, 2022

Does anyone know how long removed labels are cached for? I removed all references to a label about a week ago (searches for the label across all of my org's projects yield no results), but it's still showing up as a suggested label. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events