How to remove Jira add-in from Excel

Milica Popovic May 13, 2021

Hello,

I cannot remove Jira add-in from online Excel, it opens each time sheet is refreshed.

I have deinstalled it but it opening each time page is refreshed it is really annoying for the whole team.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 11.51.12.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-13 at 11.50.52.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-13 at 11.50.35.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-13 at 11.50.15.png

I'm not the only user with this issue

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/remove-jira-plugin/d8149609-2cd6-470f-87c8-ab05fcadfec3

https://www.reddit.com/r/excel/comments/j7vf0s/how_to_remove_jira_addin_from_excel/

Please advise

Regards,

Milica

5 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jeannine Fuhrmann May 5, 2022

Because the Addin is controlled by administrator, I solved it by saving the xlsx as xls and after this again as xlsx. This removed the Jira Feature.

2 votes
Answer accepted
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 16, 2021

@Milica Popovic @Laurent Braconnier 

Did any of you reach out to Atlassian for assistance? What was their advice?

Paul Francis November 22, 2021

@Ella Pestine  @Levente Szabo _Midori_  I have the same issue so have logged with Atlassian support.

I'm not actually a Jira user (or Atlassian customer), I just happened to click that Jira button and now its got its claws into my file!

Like # people like this
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 23, 2021

@Paul Francis 

Thanks for chiming in here! Please keep us updated on their reply if it's not too much to ask.

Paul Francis November 29, 2021

@Ella Pestine @Levente Szabo _Midori_ @Laurent Braconnier Just heard from the license support team saying it sounds like I need some technical support and asking I confirm my support / contract details - I've said again how I'm not a user or customer, I just happen to have infected an Excel file having accidentally clicking on the Jira toolbar icon in Excel.

Paul Francis November 29, 2021

@Ella Pestine @Levente Szabo _Midori_ @Laurent Braconnier They have just pointed me to Microsoft support!

Thanks for nothing Altassian :(

Paul Francis December 2, 2021

@Ella Pestine @Levente Szabo _Midori_ @Laurent Braconnier  Microsoft are suggesting to reinstall Office.  I'll give that a go but if that does not fix it I will have to recreate the Excel file.  Ah well.

@Ella Pestine @Levente Szabo _Midori_ @Laurent Braconnier I have figured it out.  This is what to do:

With the problem file open in Excel click 'File' and then 'Info'.

Click 'Check for Issues' and then 'Inspect Document'.

Run the 'Inspect' option.

It should report there are 'Task Pane Add ins' and offer to remove them.

'Remove All' and then close.

Go back to the document, Save and test it.

Like # people like this

@Vikrant Yadav @Milica Popovic 

Please note I have found a solution for this.

Like # people like this
Cristina Pravato March 14, 2022

Thank you very much! This solved the annoying problem of Jira popping up every time I opened Excel (on microsoft). 
For the Italian user follow these steps:
1- cliccare file;

2- informazioni;

3- verifica documento;

4- controlla documento;

5- cliccare sì e fleggare solo "componenti agiuntivi riquadro attività"; 

6- cliccare controlla e nel popup comparirà "rimuovi tutti" e cliccare;

7- riavviare exel e vedrete che Jira non si avvierà più ogni volta che si apre Excel! 

Like Özer Küz likes this
Henrique Cabrita January 2, 2023

Thank you paulfrancis.

1 vote
Ella Pestine November 18, 2021

My team is experiencing the same issue, and this is on a client deliverable, so it is important that the add on is removed.

0 votes
Micheal Cooper February 28, 2024

For Excel 365 desktop application for Mac:

1. Open a file that shows this add-in.
  2. Click "Tell me" in the center top of the application; it has a light bulb icon.
  3. Type in "add-in".
  4. Click the "Add-in" option and you will get a list of installed add-ins.
  5. Click the three dots and remove it.
0 votes
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

Hi @Milica Popovic  In Excel online, there is no option to disable or enable plugin. You need to check with your Messaging team or IT team who is the Admin of O365. 

FOr disabling addon from excel , first open Desktop App or Click Open in Desktop App , Click Files >> Options >> Addin >> Select COM- Addon >> Untick JIRA addon . If not able to see JIRA addon in Com-addin then select excel addon >> unticket jira addon.

Thanks,

Vikrant Yadav

Milica Popovic May 14, 2021

Hello @Vikrant Yadav ,

Thank you for your advice, unfortunately IT department notify me that they cannot remove addon. 

Unfortunately the since the Addons were enabled by your end it can only be disabled from your end, IT doesn't have rights to do that

We do not see anything about that option

This makes sense to me, as I was the one who added this addin. 

Expectation is that I can also remove it, if I could add it.

I have downloaded file locally and still has a issue with popup.

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 11.26.15.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 11.26.42.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 11.21.29.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-14 at 11.20.40.png

Your addon attached itself for the file and it cannot be destroyed.

This file is important for my team, used frequently during the day, by more than ten people and they all experience the popup issue. 

Please advise on next steps

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

Hi @Milica Popovic  If the Addin is installed then it must be visible under My Addin.

Click Insert >> Select My Addins. If JIRA Cloud for Excel is visible. Click three dots and select Remove. 

If not visible in my addins >> Then first click Trust this Addin then follow the steps mentioned above. 

First Login O365 account and then in new tab open following URL, it's is showing Get it Now, it means plugin is not installed. 

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/office/WA200000556?tab=Overview

Office Addin.PNG

Milica Popovic May 18, 2021

No resolution, issue is still present

Here is screen share video where all steps are followed.

https://we.tl/t-zP5azwcBZl

Regards

Like Laurent Braconnier likes this
Laurent Braconnier October 27, 2021

Hello,

The same for me and my team.

The request upgrade a part of data from JQL but not all off so i make excel export on Jira cloud  instead of excel add on and the add on always show me that popup :(

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2021

Hi @Laurent Braconnier Kindly check jira team once if any Excel plugin is installed in JIRA, if not Excel like plugin is installed in JIRA, then kindly drop a post on Office 365 community to get Office365 expert suggestion. 

Thanks 

Suggest an answer