How to get historical sprint velocity reports? (Next gen)

Hananiah June 10, 2021

I am trying to get historical sprint information for a few next gen projects. I want to get total completed story points for each sprint.

I want to see sprints from the beginning of the year. However, I can only see the most recent 7 sprints. There were 4 sprints before this.

Is there a way to see the velocity report for all sprints for a board? I tried to manually pull the data with advanced issue search, but I am having trouble getting accurate data (story points aren't lining up with what I expect).

2021-06-10_17-01-40.jpg

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2021

Hi @Hananiah 

There are some newer and some very old suggestions to change the number of sprints shown on the velocity chart, including this one from 2012: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-6034

No telling if that will be implemented. And, one common agile idea is looking back too far in the history isn't relevant to forecast and consider the impacts of team improvements.  Regardless...

Two work-around options are to purchase an addon from the marketplace with different reporting features, or to export the items to a spreadsheet, parse the list of sprint values, and re-create the chart for older sprints.

Best regards,

Bill

Hananiah June 11, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy,

Thanks for your response. It's good to know that this is a request. I just added my vote.

I did effectively try the spreadsheet option by using advanced issue filters. I don't 100% trust the numbers but they may serve for my purpose.

I will also look into plugins - I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

H

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Kevin Cray December 7, 2021

@Hananiah Did you ever find a good plugin that worked for you? We are in the same position where we want to view previous sprints.

Hananiah December 7, 2021

@Kevin CrayYes I did get a plugin, I forget which exact one but it probably doesn't matter which exact one I picked since we just used it temporarily.

I just signed up for a free trial, wrote down the previous sprint numbers for that project, then deactivated the plugin so I didn't need to pay ongoing. Now I make sure manually wrote down the sprint numbers from the default velocity point report so that we can get to those in the future.

I hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events