How to change display name

JRodney Estrada October 26, 2020

Hi Everyone,

A user would like to change his Jira display name (remove middle name) but Jira accts are controlled through Azure AD. Is it correct to conclude that the display name has to be changed in his Azure AD profile? If not, how is this accomplished?

Much appreciated,

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2020

Hi @JRodney Estrada 

it seems your account Full name is being managed not on Jira but by your SSO provider (Azure). So changes should be done there. However the user can change the Public Name here 

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2020

Just to add this is Public name on the link above

name.png

Like # people like this
JRodney Estrada October 26, 2020

The linked worked for me so hopefully it'll work for the user too.

Thank you! @Prince Nyeche 

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2020

Hi @JRodney Estrada 

Glad to hear that, if the above answered your question; kindly accept the answer, so other users can know the solution.

JRodney Estrada October 27, 2020

done, thanks again!

0 votes
Matias Bolyos January 23, 2024

I have the same issue. User XY wants to change their name to XYZ. When I try to edit the details in Jira, the options are locked, since the name is managed by the Identity Provider, Azure AD. 

When I check the user in Azure, their name there is already XYZ. Why is the new name not being carried over to Jira?

0 votes
markygoldstein_persistent March 20, 2023

I still think this should be improved. A User should be able to edit his details, and as an Admin I should also be able to edit his Firstname Lastname.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events