How to automatically link linked issues to an epic (in bulk)

Sylvie Bracke June 9, 2022

I'm doing some changes in the way of organizing Jira issues. 
at the moment we have  tickets  like  AAA-01    with  several linked story's and tasks  from another Jira project BBB-???

I'd like to change the AAA- tickets to EPICS. and want to link all the linked story's (BBB-???) to the AAA-01 epic with an epic-link. 

Can I do this automatically ? 

I have over 1500  AAA tickets so doing it 1 by 1 is not an option. 

thanks for all your ideas. 

3 answers

1 vote
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2022

Hi @Sylvie Bracke 

You can use the Bulk functionality, if you have this global permission. You can read more about Bulk change here https://support.atlassian.com/jira-work-management/docs/edit-multiple-issues-at-the-same-time/

Let me know if that helps!

Alex

0 votes
Sylvie Bracke June 13, 2022

Thanks Alex and Hannes. 

I know the Bulk update well and use it often. But now I need to doe the bulk update of the Epic-link field based on the linked issue of the issue.

I will explain  a bit more the situation I have to deal with. 

EPIC  AAA-01
has linked issues  CCC-01, CCC-02, CCC-03
->>>>  CCC-01, 02 and 03  get linked epic  AAA-01
EPIC AAA-02
Linked issues CCC-04, DDD-01, C-005
->>>> CCC-04, 05 and DDD-01  get linked epic AAA-02
EPIC AAA-03
Linked issues CCC-006, CCC-007, CCC-008, CCC-009

There are about 1500  AAA epics, for wich I want that the linked issues get the EPIC as EPIC-LINK. 
Can I do this update with BULK changes ?  

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 11, 2022

Hi @Sylvie Bracke

just to add to Alex' answer; if you would like to try a more "interactive" approach than the native bulk process, you may want to try JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing and inline-editing all your issue fields, including the epic link. You can either inline-edit your fields individually, or in bulk, via copy/paste.

This is how it looks in action:

epic-link-bulk-update.gif

Note that you can easily sort and filter your issues within a JXL sheet (just like you may be familiar with from e.g. Excel or Google Sheets), so it's very easy to narrow down to the issues you want to update. You can bulk-change any number of issues in one paste operation.

Hope this is useful,

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders