How to automate report generations?

Brad Smith May 31, 2022

I have been tasked with automating monthly emails which should include a listing of all Epics completed by month for the past 12 months within our project, separated by team.  It would be nice if this data could be graphed to show the number completed each month by team and overall project (Per month)

For reference, the Created vs. Resolved Issues Report is a near perfect example. I believe I can separate my teams for the report generation by creating a filter. But how do I automate this report to be sent out monthly?

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2022

Hi @Brad Smith 

Short answer: I do not believe such a report as an automated email is possible with out-of-the-box features.

For some work-around ideas to try...

• Take a look at the built-in dashboard gadgets to see if something would be close to what you need, and then send out an email with a dashboard link
  • Build a filter and save it, sorted by team and resolution date, and have your recipients subscribe on their desired cadence
  • Investigate the Atlassian Marketplace for addon apps for better reporting/dashboard gadgets
  • Using Automation for Jira rules, use the actions for Create Variable and Lookup Issues to custom build that table of values (months and teams) and send the result in an email.  Two constraints for this one are maximum number of issues (100) for a single Lookup and maximum size of a rule (if it gets too complex.  As you are doing this for Epics, both constraints may be manageable.
  • Use either of the Atlassian provided plugins for Excel or Google sheets, connect that to a query which refreshes when opened, and then build your own report which you share

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events