How to Import Jira automation rule from one project to another

mukesh.singhal June 6, 2022

Hello,

I am able to export Jira automation rule in Jason format. Once I go automation tab of another project, I did not find any option to import rule. 

Any help in this regard?

Thanks

Mukesh

3 answers

2 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2022

Hi @mukesh.singhal and welcome to the community!

You can import rules if you go to

• Cog > System
  • Global Automation 

There you will find the option to import any rule.

Alex

mukesh.singhal June 6, 2022

Hi Alex,

Thanks for responding quickly. I can't see any options you suggest. Please see screen shot visible to me for project. 

image.png

Thanks

Mukesh

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2022

@mukesh.singhal you are in the project settings and not where I told you to go. So:

• Go to Cog (upper right on your screen, next to your avatar) and click it
  • Click on Systemsystem01.png
  • Find on the left navigation menu the option Global Automation and click it global automation.png
  • Click import rulesimport.png
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2022

Hi @mukesh.singhal -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Adding to Alex's answer: you will need at least Site Admin permission to do this, so if you do not have it please ask your site admin to do the import.

Also...rather than export/import, your site admin may also copy a rule from project to another.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Taranjeet Singh likes this
mukesh.singhal June 8, 2022

Thanks Alex and Bill for guiding me.

I did not have access of Site admin, will connect with Jira admin to see I can get that access. 

Thanks

Mukesh

Like # people like this
1 vote
Maksim Beliaev November 7, 2022

why isn't a default option on the project level?

for example, one user creates a rule, shares a JSON, second user can import to the project of their choice

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2022

Hi @Maksim Beliaev -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I do not know the answer why Atlassian went that way, and here is a suggestion to allow Project Admins to import rules...without help of a Site Admin.  Please watch/vote for the issue to see progress.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JIRAAUTOSERVER-83

Kind regards,
Bill

Like # people like this
0 votes
Allen, Matthew L.
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 18, 2024

It would be nice if project admin could copy from one project to another. The copy only works within the same project.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events